Below is my public comment submitted to the Christina Board of Education
Tonight, as you prepare to re-vote for the open board seat due to your flagrant, ill-informed, and seemingly ill-intended desire to hide your voting behind a secret ballot that resulted in district counsel being forced to confirm that you indeed flouted Delaware’s open meeting laws, which you each took an oath to uphold, I thought it would be a good time to remind the board that the public that elected you has deep, abiding concerns with some of your recent behaviors.
Here’s a short list:
- Permitting a school grow a 5-foot weed garden in its front yard, facing the community, with taxpayer monies
- Permitting your special ed director to leave without a replacement, causing serious special education concerns in the district to grow.
- Conducting top secret meetings with NCS leadership absent board assent, necessary granted authorities, or fellow member knowledge of meeting content
- Failure to act in the face of serious allegations about the conditions in our Wilmington partnership schools as expressed at the regular October Board meeting. Example: Where is the annual November 1st review of the MOU by all parties? Missed in both 2018 and 2019…
- Permitting administration to suspend a respite program serving our most vulnerable families without board approval, causing trauma to many households
- Systemic denial of information necessary to adequately inform votes to an elected board member without a board vote authorizing said withholding
- Putting forth the aforementioned secret ballot, motioned by a board member absent from the interview process and with no public discussion of the other candidates vying for the position which is at the very least, disrespectful.
- Voting to set a date for a referendum without an ask amount (tonight)
I am not completely sure why secrecy and poor decision-making reigns on this board, but I have a pretty good idea and if board leadership continues to permit and engage the community in the disdainful manner it has thus far, you will likely find your satisfaction with the result on tonight’s main subject, the referendum, to be very low and your opportunity to move Christina forward severely impeded.
Ultimately, all because of a lack of intellectual curiosity and simple, petty hubris.